Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Keeper

I haven't quite decided how I'm going to share the photos and stories from my trip to Europe, but I thought I'd at least put this one out there. I felt like it was special when I took it, and I still feel that way now that I'm seeing it again.



I was making the long walk to get to the even longer walk to get to the amazing (and remote) hill town of Civita in Italy, and I caught this nun out of the corner of my eye. I stopped behind a tree, just out of her sight line, fumbled with my camera case, aimed and got exactly two exposures. I blinked, and she was gone.

It was exhilarating in the moment, and this image was the one that stayed in my mind throughout a trip filled with wonderful photo subjects.

I have no idea if it's a technically good photo, but I just keep staring at it. Like so many things in Italy, this scene feels like it could have been captured a week ago, a year ago or 50 years ago.

I took 6,298 during this trip, so I'll probably have more to pass along soon. This one was really special.

3 comments:

Jonderson said...

That is indeed a timeless shot, Scott. Glad you got the shots off!!

Hope yoru trip was fun as well!

The Rogers Clan said...

You need to share what you did?! Otherwise, how will I secretly know everything about your trip?! This is how you do it.....start from the beginning, talk slow, post a picture here and there to go along with the stories, and then say, "Then we flew home." Done!

Or you could just load them all onto flicker and send out a mass spam link to everyone in the world, and that works too.

BTW, LOVE the pic! See, now you can see how amazing you are!

Richard said...

what a great pic! it's so catchy and just simply amazing!