Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What I'd Like for My Birthday

When it's your birthday, people inevitably ask: "What do you want for your birthday?"

I ask this question, too, when someone has a birthday. I always hold out hope someone will make it easy for me. Just give me something specific, and please don't ask for something outrageous like a Maud Island frog.

So, here's what I'd LOVE for my birthday. And you can give me this whether you planned on giving me a gift or not, I should mention. Whether you know me or not.

The children's literacy program I volunteer for, Spread the Word Nevada, has a program called "The Gift of Reading." You donate $10, and a child gets a new book. Simple! You make the donation in the name of someone, and that person gets something in the mail letting them know you made the donation. Sweet.

The mailing address of Spread the Word Nevada (for large checks and the like) is:
260 East Desert Rose
Henderson, NV 89015

Read more about The Gift of Reading here, and think about what a great idea that is to take care of anybody on your gift list for any occasion. Ten bucks. Very cool.

That's it. My one and only need or want for my birthday. Of course, you can donate more than $10, but that would only serve to bolster your reputation as an extraordinary person, and we wouldn't word getting out about that now, would we?

The truth is, I have everything I could ever want in life. I have a woman I love. I have a job. I have family nearby. I have a passion for my hobbies. I have charitable efforts to which I devote my time. I am happy and fulfilled and have pretty good health.

I am the luckiest man in the world, and honestly, every day feels like a birthday to me!

1 comment:

Matt said...

Very nice sir. Happy Birthday Scott!