Monday, July 21, 2008

Today's Movie Review

"The Dark Knight." Maybe one of the most overhyped movies, well, ever. Broke lots of box office records, so I guess the marketing worked. I'm not quite sure this movie has gotten all the raves it has, honestly. It has all the things you expect in a Batman movie. And Heath Ledger is pretty good, as you've heard. Not brilliant, as you've also heard, but good.

The movie itself, on the other hand, is pretty sloppy. It ends about an hour before it actually ends. During that long, long homestretch, there's a lot of motion, but much of it is in service of a plot that goes kind of haywire.

I think the feeling I left the theater with was that the movie wasn't FUN. It was sadistic, and dark. Which I guess they were going for. But the internal logic didn't hold up. And even a movie inspired by a comic book has to have its own internal logic.

So, it was OK, but I have no interest in watching it again. So, lower the expectations. A lot. And you'll be fine.

No comments: