Saturday, October 11, 2008

Oh, Holy Crap!

Guess what crawled creepily into our home tonight! Let's just say it wasn't a friendly ant or graceful butterfly or elegant praying mantis. Oh, heck no. The animal kingdom had to take it up a notch!



Terrified of this thing though I was, I still just had to take on the challenge of getting a macro shot. I suspect this may be where my little macro hobby ends. This thing was angry and mobile. I tried my little "in the fridge for five minutes," but he got right back up, right away, and bolted for freedom.

Back into the fridge. Ten, 20, 30 minutes. On the very last try, he held still just long enough for me to get 5-10 shots. Being so close, every movement made me think this guy was going to jump into my eye and poke a hole through my iris with his barb.

Getting this simple shot (that I'm not all that sure looks REAL) was one of the most unnerving things I've done in photography. Scorpions don't have cute little faces. They just don't. I can get all warm and cuddly over an ant, but I just can't seem to muster an affection for this bad boy.

Enjoy, because this might be the last extreme close-up you see for awhile. At least until my hands stop shaking.

1 comment:

Jonderson said...

Yikes. We really don't have anything like those here, which is nice. We have fire ants, which are aptly named though not usually fatal. And we have brown recluse spiders, which are fatal but not very commonly contacted because they too are aptly named. Only one species of poisonous snake, currently a threatened species and so also not common, though they are known to be in this general area. I saw one when I was a kid, but not since. The only other potentially fatal creepy-crawly around here are the mosquitoes, and even that is only due to diseases that they carry. I have no plans to photograph any of these things. Though the rattlesnake is quite pretty, the idea of getting that close to one does not really appeal to me.

(BTW, these VR lenses don't do very well through glass I have noticed. FYI.)