Friday, May 29, 2009

Sound of Jaw Dropping

I love the craps. Yep, it's a fact. I love the dice. I love the chips. I love the lovable crackpots who tend to play craps. Love the whole thing. The smoke. The drink. The superstition. The laughter. The numbers. The hunches.

Anyway. You can't love craps all the time, because sometimes Lady Luck just decides to crush your most precious body parts under foot. And every once in awhile, you feel like giving it up, even though you love it.

AND THEN THIS HAPPENS.

Yep, the last time I played craps, at the heavenly M Resort, rumors were flying about this woman who, in Atlantic City, rolled for four hours and 18 minutes.



If you aren't all that familiar with craps, that might not sound all that impressive. But if you play craps, well, that's a streak that could very well cause one's head to explode.

Here's an item that discusses the odds against a roll like this happening.

All I can say is, well, wow.

Most craps players dream of an 18 minute roll, much less a four hour and 18 minute roll. The previous record was three hours, six minutes. That was 20 years ago.

This is the kind of story that becomes legend even as it's happening. At least among craps players. It would be a little like a baseball player hitting 100 home runs. In a single game.

I know what I'll be dreaming about when my head hits the pillow tonight. Hey, ya gotta have dreams.

No comments: